The Department of Theatre and Dance offers a bachelor of arts degree in theatre as well as three concentrations:
NOTE: Admission to the acting and musical theatre tracks are by audition only. Please visit our Audition page for more information.
Students earning the BA degree with a major in theatre must complete all University, college and departmental degree requirements. These include the general education requirements, major requirements, and all requirements for an approved minor, with sufficient credits to total a minimum of 120 applicable semester hours.
The major in theatre requires the successful completion of the following courses:
- Acting I
- Fundamentals of Stagecraft or Beginning Costume Construction
- Theatre Practicum
- Beginning Directing or Theatre Management
- History of Theatre
In addition to these core requirements, students must complete 18 hours of electives. Highly motivated students may choose to take up to 42 hours in the major. The Department of Theatre and Dance offers additional coursework in all disciplines of theatre, taught by a vibrant, dedicated faculty of working professionals, who bring a wealth of national and international experience to the classroom.
Read details about the curriculum on our BA Theatre Curriculum page.
For more information on the department, University and/or core curriculum requirements, please visit the UA Undergraduate Catalog.
Have any questions? Visit our FAQ page.
For those students wishing to transfer from a two-year college or another four-year institution, these courses are recommended by the Department of Theatre and Dance (courses will be transferred under Area V in the State Articulation Agreement).
The University of Alabama vs. Alabama Junior Colleges (Courses and Numbers)
- Introduction to Theatre (this course does not satisfy the fine arts requirement for theatre majors), TH114, 3 credits vs. Introduction to Theatre, THR126, 3 credits
- Acting I, TH141, 3 credits vs. Techniques of Acting I, THR131, 3 credits
- Beginning Voice & Speech, TH241, 3 credits vs. Junior College courses vary, 3 credits
- Stage Make-Up, TH230, 2 credits vs. Theatrical Make-Up, THR216, 2 credits
- Theatre Practicum, TH290, 4 credits vs. Theatre Workshop I & II, THR113/114, 4 credits
- Foreign Language, Student Choice/courses vary, 8 credits vs. Junior College courses vary, 8 credits