Do you want to be a UA Theatre & Dance student for a day? Become an understudy!
Our understudies are high school students who attend classes and shadow faculty and students to learn about careers in theatre and dance.
To best fit your schedule, this program can be offered as a full-day or a half-day schedule.
We offer tracks in dance, acting, musical theatre, and design and technical production.
If you are interested in stage management, register for the design and technical production track and indicate that you are interested in stage management on your form.
If you are interested in shadowing classes on directing, theatre management, stage management, theatre history, or other classes not listed in your track, please indicate your area of interest on your application.
Interest Area Tracks
- The Musical Theatre Track will allow you to shadow a combination of dance, acting, voice or movement classes alongside current musical theatre students.
- The Dance Track will allow you to shadow a combination of ballet, modern, jazz, contemporary or movement classes alongside current dance students.
- The Acting Track will allow you to shadow a combination of acting, voice and diction, theatre history or movement classes alongside current acting students.
- The Design/Technical Production Track will allow you to shadow a combination of scenic design, prop construction, lighting or sound classes alongside current design and technical production students.
- The General Theatre Track will allow you to shadow a combination of classes offered in the previous tracks as well as stage management, theatre management, and/or directing.
Please note that there is limited availability for the Understudy Program and participation is on a first come first serve basis. You will not be able to participate in certain classes but only observe the class.
Applications for Fall 2019 are now closed.
Contact the department office for more information.