News

Tusk Mag: Local Q & A with Molly Beech

By Greg Ward
Special to Tusk

Published: Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 1:00 p.m.

This week, meet dancer and singer Molly Beech. You might have seen her as Eponine in “Les Miserables” or Zaneeta in “The Music Man,” both for The Actor’s Charitable Theatre. Later this month, she’ll be a zombie flapper in the “Addams Family” musical.

Q: Who are you and what do you do?

A: My name is Molly Beech. I’m from Spanish Fort, and I’m a dance major here at the University of Alabama. Dancing has been a major part of my life ever since I was a young girl.

Q: What brought you to Tuscaloosa?

A: The dance program, other than being a raised a huge Crimson Tide fan. I chose to attend UA because of the opportunities I knew I could have one day by being part of the program.

Q: What do you tell people who have never been to Tuscaloosa?

A: To anyone who has never been to Tuscaloosa, I can’t stress how beautiful our campus is and how awesome the school spirit is. Football season is crazy, and if you’re not into sports, there are plenty of other things do. Also, the city itself is beautiful. The town becomes so colorful around fall and spring with the wonderful parks and grassy areas around town.

Q: Where are the top places you take visitors?

A: Well, you can’t come to Tuscaloosa without seeing Bryant-Denny Stadium or the Quad. That is just something that has been rooted in Tuscaloosa life for years. Also, there are spots along the Black Warrior River that are breathtaking. Finally, you have theaters like the Bama that always have something going on.

Q: Where are your favorite places to eat?

A: Well, a staple in town to me is Mugshots. Mugshots’ burgers are some of the best and biggest burgers I’ve ever had; any burger there is great, and you always have to get a delicious milkshake to go with it.

Q: What are some of the best hangouts around town?

A: The Quad is a go-to place for me. Even if it is not game day, you find people of all ages just hanging out, having fun. You see families, couples, friends and even pets out there. Another thing I would recommend is Guerrilla Theatre. It’s a small production put on by the theater fraternity (Alpha Psi Omega) on campus. You see all kinds of acts; they range from just about anything. It’s really a great time, and they always have some great acts and talent.

Q: What are some things you do in your free time around Tuscaloosa?

A: When I’m not dancing for school, I like to participate in productions put on by The Actor’s Charitable Theatre at the Bama Theatre. So far I have gotten to perform as Eponine in “Les Mis,” Zaneeta in “The Music Man,” and in October I’ll be dancing in “The Addams Family” as a zombie flapper dancer. Can’t wait to do the hair and makeup for that!

Q: With your degree in dance, what are some of your future goals and ambitions?

A: After I graduate, I hope to maybe work with Disney or to join a professional dance company to build up my credibility as a dance teacher. Don’t get me wrong, I want my chance in the spotlight, but I love teaching dance and that’s what I see myself doing in the next five to 10 years. I still don’t have everything figured out, but it’s a work in progress! Ultimately, though, my dream job would be to work for Broadway. I love to sing as well as dance, and to be able to do both on stage would be awesome!

Permanent Link (Scanned Copy)