BA Theatre, Musical Theatre Concentration
Designed to prepare students for a professional career in musical theatre, both the BA and BFA provide a more specialized curriculum in the four pillars of musical theatre – acting, singing, dancing and musicianship.
By studying Musical Theatre at UA, you will have the opportunity to:
- Train rigorously in four areas of musical theatre. (Acting, Singing, Dancing, Musicianship).
- Perform in both plays and musicals as part of our diverse theatre season and occasional touring productions as well as at SummerTide Theatre, the University’s professional theatre at the beach.
- Understand the business of theatre. (Theatre career courses and individualized mentoring).
- Connect with working professionals. (Regular guest artist masterclasses and Q&As).
- Cultivate meaningful professional relationships with a dedicated musical theatre faculty.
- Prepare for varying types of professional auditions (Open Calls, EPAs, ECCs, SETC, UPTA, Cruise Lines, and many more).
- Showcase your talents in NYC for industry professionals during senior year.
- Join an elite network of working alumni:
- Broadway: Hamilton, Carousel, King Kong, Lucky Guy, Wicked
- Off-Broadway: Carrie, Sweeney Todd, Invisible Thread
- National tours: Hamilton, Cinderella, Sister Act, Beauty and the Beast, Finding Neverland, The Color Purple, The Wizard of Oz, Wicked, Something Rotten, Oklahoma!
- Various regional theatres, theme parks, and cruise lines
Admission to the BA-Musical Theatre concentration is by audition. Auditions are held on campus each November and January, with exact dates published annually on the departmental website. Students must complete the online application form (also on the website) and apply to The University of Alabama in order to be considered for admission. Students will be notified of acceptance, and eligibility for possible departmental scholarship, no later than Feb. 1. If accepted, continuance is dependent upon satisfactory development, evaluated annually by the musical theatre faculty.
Please visit the departmental website for up to date, detailed information on the audition process at https://theatre.ua.edu/
NOTE: There is overlap between the material covered by both the BA and BFA, but as a whole they have distinct differences, which means what’s right for one prospective student isn’t always right for another. No matter what degree one decides to pursue, our mission is to develop the knowledge, skills, and concepts essential to the life of a musical theatre professional.
For more information, please contact Stacy Alley, Director of Musical Theatre, at 205-348-6247 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Have any questions? Visit our FAQ page.