The Musical Theatre concentration in the Department of Theatre and Dance is committed to fostering a student’s talent and technique in all aspects of musical theatre. Students enjoy the advantage of being part of a vibrant liberal arts community with the added benefit of more intimate class sizes.
Designed to prepare students for a professional career or graduate study in musical theatre, the BFA allows us to continue our solid and successful musical theatre training while providing an environment for students seeking a more specialized curriculum in the three pillars of musical theatre – acting, singing, and dancing. Please note, the Academic Common Market is not available to students in the BFA-MT concentration.
By studying Musical Theatre at UA, you will:
- work with a faculty of passionate, highly-trained professionals.
- make valuable connections in professional musical theatre by participating in master classes and auditions here on campus.
- receive hands-on preparation for various employment opportunities through professional theatre conferences and on campus auditions.
- have an invaluable, competitive edge with information and material that prepares students for a comprehensive career in the business aspects of musical theatre.
- have the opportunity to audition for participation in a senior showcase in NYC, performing for
- have the opportunity to perform as part of our diverse season, in occasional touring productions, as part of SummerTide Theatre (our professional theatre in Gulf Shores), and in student productions.
Admission to the BFA Musical Theatre concentration is by audition. Auditions are held on campus each November and January, with exact dates published annually on the departmental website. Students must complete the online application form (also on the website) and apply to The University of Alabama in order to be considered for admission. Students will be notified of acceptance, and eligibility for possible departmental scholarship, no later than Feb. 1. If accepted, continuance is dependent upon satisfactory development, evaluated annually by the musical theatre faculty.
Please visit the departmental website for up to date, detailed information on the audition process at https://theatre.ua.edu/
NOTE: There is overlap between the material covered by both the BA and BFA, but as a whole they have distinct differences, which means what’s right for one prospective student isn’t always right for another. No matter what degree one decides to pursue, our mission is to develop the knowledge, skills, and concepts essential to the life of a musical theatre professional.
For more information, please contact Stacy Alley, Director of Musical Theatre, at 205-348-6247 or email@example.com