American Ballet Theatre (ABT) Summer 2014…
The American Ballet Theatre will be conducting a three week Summer Ballet Intensive from June 30- July 19, 2014.
This three-week program is held in collaboration with the Department of Theatre and Dance at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Students will stay in dormitories on the beautiful University of Alabama campus while studying with Artistic Coordinator Carla Stallings Lippert and celebrated ABT faculty. A final showcase performance will be held featuring ABT repertory and new choreography on stage at the Moody Music Concert Hall. The Tuscaloosa site is geared toward strengthening and refining technique for intermediate and advanced dancers, ages 11-17.
- Program Dates: June 30 – July 19, 2014
- Dorm Check-in: June 29, 2014, 9:00 AM-2:00 PM, mandatory orientation meeting for all ABT students at 4:00PM
- Final Showcase: Saturday, July 19, 2014 at Noon and 3:00PM, in the Moody Music Concert Hall
- Dorm Check-out: July 19, 2014, following the 3:00PM showcase
- Location: The University of Alabama, Department of Theatre and Dance, Box 870239, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487, (205) 348-5283
- Tuition: $1250 (pay to ABT)
- Room/Board: $1550 (pay to UA)
- Day Student Fee: $400 (only applies to dancers not staying in the dorms)
- Day Student Meal Card: $450 (Students not staying in the dorm may choose to purchase a food card to pay for meals during the intensive)
- Ages: 11-17
- Accepted methods of payment: money order or check made payable to The University of Alabama or any major credit card (MasterCard, VISA, Amex, Discover)
The comprehensive curriculum includes a full day of classes, workshops and group rehearsals. Classes will be offered at ability levels following the initial placement audition and will include…
- Pas de Deux
- Men’s Class
These classes are taught by ABT faculty. Additional classes in jazz, modern, Pilates and dance health will be offered by distinguished local guest artists.
About the Program: In 1997, The University of Alabama was chosen by American Ballet Theatre for the first American Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive ever to be held outside of New York or in partnership with a university.
Through this partnership, promising young dancers can receive both the highest level of dance training with American Ballet Theatre’s renowned summer program and a strong correlating academic curriculum of dance studies. Participants are selected for the Intensive through an 24-city nationwide audition tour.
The American Ballet Theatre is the nation’s premiere dance company. Founded in 1940, the company has been the home of many of the world’s best dancers, including Natalia Makarova, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Cynthia Gregory. American Ballet Theatre is known internationally for establishing an American identity for ballet, through works choreographed by such artists as Agnes de Mille, George Balanchine and Twyla Tharp. Today the American Ballet Theatre continues to be the destination of choice for the world’s most accomplished dancers.
Visit ABT Summer Intensive online by clicking here — http://www.abt.org/education/summerintensive.asp.
Registration: For information on how to audition and enroll in the ABT Summer Intensive, please contact Caitlin Williams, Summer Intensive Associate, American Ballet Theatre, 890 Broadway, Floor 3, New York, NY 10003, Phone: (212) 477-3030 x3416, Fax: (212) 419-4396, E-mail: email@example.com.
Tickets and Additional Information: The final Gala Showcase performance will be Saturday, July 19 at 12:00Noon and, again at, 3:00PM, in the Concert Hall of the Moody Music Building. Tickets will go on sale approximately one week before the performance. Please check back for prices and purchasing locations. For more information, please contact the Department of Theatre and Dance, (205) 348-5283 or by fax (205) 348-9048.